Shari'a in the West /
- Publication info:
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2010.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
- Shari'a in the West / edited by Rex Ahdar and Nicholas Aroney.
- Other Authors:
Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2010
- Physical Description:
xii, 336 p. : maps ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -328) and index.
Table of Contents
- The topography of Shari'a in the western political landscape / Rex Ahdar and Nicholas Aroney
- Multicultural citizenship and the Shari'a controversy in Britain / Tariq Modood
- The Archbishop of Canterbury : the man and the theology behind the Shari'a lecture / John Milbank
- Religious courts' recognition claims : two qualitatively distinct narratives / Jean-François Gaudreault-DesBiens
- Islamic law, fundamental freedoms, and social cohesion : retrospect and prospect / Michael Nazir-Ali
- Shari'a and pluralism / James W. Skillen
- Questions about the reasonable accommodation of minorities / Jeremy Waldron
- State, religion, and the family : the new dilemmas of multicultural accommodation / Ayelet Shachar
- Shari'a and the true basis of group rights : Islam, the West, and liberalism / John Milbank
- Religious courts, personal federalism, and legal transplants / Jean-François Gaudreault-DesBiens
- Natural law, democracy, and Shari'a / J. Budziszewski
- Negotiating the unfamiliar : reflections from The Netherlands on the Archbishop of Canterbury's lecture / Sophie van Bijsterveld
- Reflections on the establishment of Shari'a courts in Australia / Abdullah Saeed
- In the shadow of our legal system : Shari'a in Australia / Ann Black
- To Shari'aticize or not to Shari'aticize : Islamic and secular law in liberal democratic society / Erich Kolig
- The future of Muslim family law in western democracies / John Witte Jr.
- Appendix I. Civil and religious law in England : a religious perspective / Rowan Williams
- Appendix II. Equality before the law / Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers.