Papal justice : subjects and courts in the Papal State, 1500-1750 /
- Publication info:
- Washington, D.C. : Catholic University of America Press, c2011.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
- Papal justice : subjects and courts in the Papal State, 1500-1750 / Irene Fosi ; translated by Thomas V. Cohen.
- Main Author:
- Polverini Fosi, Irene.
Washington, D.C. : Catholic University of America Press, 2011
- Physical Description:
xi, 272 p. : ill., map ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 241-257) and index.
Table of Contents
- A complex geography
- Roman tribunals in the early modern period
- The "new" inquisition and the Pope's city
- The theater of justice
- Restless nobles
- Collaboration and conflicts : governors, bishops, inquisitors
- Sins and crimes
- Inside the family
- Disciplining the clergy
- Buon governo : between Utopia and reality
- Little fatherlands : local identity and central power
- Rivers of ink : petitions, memorials, letters
- Justice represented, justice recounted.