Sex, love & homophobia : lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives /
- Publication info:
- London : Amnesty International, 2004.
On the Shelf
- Sex, love & homophobia : lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender lives / Vanessa Baird.
- Main Author:
- Baird, Vanessa.
- Other Authors:
London : Amnesty International, 2004
- Variant Title:
- Sex, love and homophobia
"According to Desmond Tutu, this book 'illuminates anew the bleak wasteland that is prejudice. It illuminates more clearly than ever that a loving, understanding humanity is sustained by justice ... Sex, Love and Homophobia is a bright light on the path to justice.' The purpose of the book is to give an insight into lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights in the world today. The format is deliberately easy-to-read and can be dipped into according to interest. Grayson Perry, Turner Prize winner 2003 says of the book: 'it is very accessible to young people and is also a moving and serious document of the history, culture and politics of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered world'."--Publisher description.
- Item Description:
"Foreward by Archbishop Desmond Tutu."--Cover."Preface Grayson Perry"--Cover.
- Physical Description:
152 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 143-147) and index.
Table of Contents
- - Glossary
- - Against nature; Bisexuality; Clitoridectomies and other cures; Diversity ... and identity; Equality; Faith and fundamentalisms; Gay gene
- and other scientific adventures; Homophobia and its roots; Intersex; Judges ... and the law; Kertbeny and the birth of the 'homosexual'; Love that dare not speak its name; Marriage; Not in our culture; Out; Positive lives; Queer; Rainbow flag; Stonewall; Trans liberation; Untermenschen
- or 'sub-human'; Vegetarian sisterhoods, Mother Clap and other queer histories; We are family; XXYY; Youth; Zapatistas
- - Appendices.