Transnational torture : law, violence, and state power in the United States and India /
- Publication info:
- New York : New York University Press, c2011.
On the Shelf
- Transnational torture : law, violence, and state power in the United States and India / Jinee Lokaneeta.
- Main Author:
- Lokaneeta, Jinee.
New York : New York University Press, 2011
- Physical Description:
x, 293 p. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9780814752791 (cl : alk. paper)0814752799 (cl : alk. paper)9780814752807 (e-book)0814752802 (e-book)
Table of Contents
- Law's struggle with violence : ambivalence in the "routine" : jurisprudence of interrogations in the United States
- "Being helplessly civilized leaves us at the mercy of the beast" : post-9/11 discourses on torture in the United States
- Torture in the tv show 24: circulation of meanings
- Jurisprudence on torture and interrogations in India
- Contemporary states of exception : extraordinary laws and interrogation in India
- Conclusion : "the strength of our values" impermissibility and the politics of denial.