Transnational torture : law, violence, and state power in the United States and India /
- Publication info:
- New York : New York University Press, c2011.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Transnational torture : law, violence, and state power in the United States and India / Jinee Lokaneeta.
- Main Author:
- Lokaneeta, Jinee.
New York : New York University Press, 2011
- Physical Description:
x, 293 p. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 271-279) and index.
Table of Contents
- Introduction : do the ghosts of Levianthan linger on? : law, violence, and torture in liberal democracies
- Law's struggle with violence : ambivalence in the "routine" jurisprudence of interrogations in the United States
- "Being helplessly civilized leaves us at the mercy of the beast" : post-9/11 discourses on torture in the United States
- Torture in the tv show 24: circulation of meanings
- Jurisprudence on torture and interrogations in India
- Contemporary states of exception : extraordinary laws and interrogation in India
- Conclusion : unraveling the exception : torture in liberal democracies.