The embedded firm : corporate governance, labor, and finance capitalism /
- Publication info:
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- The embedded firm : corporate governance, labor, and finance capitalism / edited by Cynthia A. Williams and Peer Zumbansen.
- Other Authors:
Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011
- Local Note:
Osgoode faculty editors: Peer Zumbansen and Cynthia A. Williams.
"The globalization of capital markets since the 1980s has been accompanied by a vigorous debate over the convergence of corporate governance standards around the world towards the shareholder model. But even before the financial and economic crisis of 2008/2009, the dominance of the shareholder model was challenged with regard to persisting divergences and national differences in corporate law, labor law and industrial relations. The present collection explores this debate at an important crossroads, echoing Karl Polanyi's famous observation in 1944 of the disembeddedness of the market from society. Drawing on pertinent insights from scholars, practitioners and regulators in corporate and labor law, securities regulation as well as economic sociology and management theory, the contributions shed important light on the empirical effects on the economy of the shift to shareholder primacy, in light of a comprehensive reconsideration of the global context, policy goals and regulatory forms which characterize market governance today"--
- Physical Description:
xi, 485 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- Introduction : corporate governance after the 'end of history' : investigating the new 'great transformation' / Cynthia A. Williams and Peer Zumbansen
- Corporate governance and financial crisis in the long run / Simon Deakin
- Financialism : a (very) brief history / Lawrence E. Mitchell
- Legitimating power : the changing status of the board of directors / Dalia Tsuk Mitchell
- Engaging corporate boards : the limits of liability rules in modern corporate governance / William T. Allen
- The primacy of Delaware and the embeddedness of the firm / Fenner Stewart, Jr.
- The new embeddedness of the corporation : corporate social responsibility in the knowledge society / Peer Zumbansen
- New interests, new shareholder constellations, new landscapes : Beyond the Berle and Means paradigm : private equity and the new capitalist order / Stephen F. Diamond
- Pension funds as owners and as financial intermediaries : a review of recent Canadian experience / Simon Archer
- Credit derivatives market design : creating fairness and sustainability / Janis Sarra
- The EU Takeovers Directive : a shareholder or stakeholder model? / Blanaid Clarke
- 'Law and finance' : inaccurate, incomplete, and important / Ruth V. Aguilera and Cynthia A. Williams
- Labor's evolution in the new economy
- Labor and finance in the United States / Sanford M. Jacoby
- The conflicting logic of markets and the management of production / Suzanne Konzelmann and Frank Wilkinson
- Organizing workers globally : the need for public policy to regulate investment / John Evans
- From governance to political economy : insights from a study of relations between corporations and workers / Harry W. Arthurs and Claire Mummé
- The intellectual foundations of the global financial crisis : analysis and proposals for reform / Frank Jan De Graaf and Cynthia A. Williams
- Why executive pay matters to innovation and inequality / William Lazonick
- Products, perimeters and politics : systemic risk and securities regulation / Mary Condon
- Modernizing pension fund legal standards for the twenty-first century / Keith L. Johnson and Frank Jan De Graaf
- Conclusion : evaluation, policy proposals and research agenda Cynthia A. Williams and Peer Zumbansen.