Human rights, state compliance, and social change : assessing national human rights institutions /
- Publication info:
- New York : Cambridge University Press, 2012.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Human rights, state compliance, and social change : assessing national human rights institutions / editors, Ryan Goodman, Thomas Pegram.
- Other Authors:
New York : Cambridge University Press, 2012
- Local Note:
Osgoode faculty contributor: Obiora Chinedu Okafor.
"This book critically examines the significance of National Human Rights Institutions by collecting work from experts spanning international law, political science, sociology, and human rights practice"--
- Physical Description:
xii, 351 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- Introduction : national human rights institutions, state conformity, and social change / Ryan Goodman and Thomas Pegram
- National human rights institutions and state compliance / Sonia Cardenas
- The shifting boundaries of NHRI definition in the international system / Linda C. Reif
- Evaluating NHRIs : considering structure, mandate, and impact / Julie Mertus
- National human rights institutions and the international human rights system / Chris Sidoti
- National human rights institutions in Anglophone Africa : legalism, popular agency, and the "voices of suffering" / Obiora Chinedu Okafor
- National human rights institutions in the Asia Pacific region : change agents under conditions of uncertainty / Catherine Renshaw and Kieren Fitzpatrick
- National human rights institutions in Central and Eastern Europe : the ombudsman as agent of international law / Richard Carver
- National human rights institutions in Latin America : politics and institutionalization / Thomas Pegram
- The societalization of horizontal accountability : rights advocacy and the Defensor del Pueblo de la nación in Argentina / Enrique Peruzzotti
- Through pressure or persuasion? : explaining compliance with the resolutions of the Bolivian Defensor del Pueblo / Fredrik Uggla
- Tainted origins and uncertain outcomes : evaluating NHRIs / Peter Rosenblum
- National human rights institutions, opportunities, and activism / David S. Meyer.