Roadblocks to freedom : slavery and manumission in the United States South /
- Publication info:
- New Orleans, La. : Quid Pro Books, c2011.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Roadblocks to freedom : slavery and manumission in the United States South / by Andrew Fede.
- Main Author:
- Fede, Andrew.
New Orleans, La. : Quid Pro Books, 2011
- Portion of Title:
- Slavery and manumission in the United States South.
- Physical Description:
xx, 395 p. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- The manumission and freedom suits and the law as a compact among the slaves' rulers
- The fundamental nature of manumission and manumission contracts
- The statutes regulating and prohibiting manumission and permitting voluntary enslavement
- The procedural roadblocks to the manumission and freedom suits
- Interpreting the master's will in the manumission cases
- Social policy versus the master's will in the manumission cases
- The freedom suits and the presumption disfavoring liberty
- Freedom suits based on the movement of slaves
- Rules of evidence and damages recoverable in the freedom and manumission suits.