The market or the public domain? [electronic resource] : global governance and the asymmetry of power /
- Publication info:
- New York : Routledge, c2001.
- EBook, Book, Online
- Corporate Subject:
- The market or the public domain? [electronic resource] : global governance and the asymmetry of power / edited by Daniel Drache.
- Main Author:
- Drache, Daniel, 1941-
- Corporate Author:
New York : Routledge, 2001
Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. Available via World Wide Web.
- Item Description:
Description based on print version record.
- Physical Description:
1 online resource.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
0203996704 (electronic bk.)9780203996706 (electronic bk.)
Access restricted to York University faculty, staff and students.
Table of Contents
- Machine generated contents note: List of illustrations viii
- List of contributors ix
- Acknowledgements xi
- Introduction: the fundamentals of our time: values and goals that are inescapably public 1
- DANIEL DRACHE
- PART 1
- REINVENTING THE PUBLIC DOMAIN
- Section 1
- Revisiting the fundamentals in a post-Washington consensus era
- 1 The return of the public domain after the triumph of markets: revisiting the most basic of fundamentals 37
- DANIEL DRACHE 2 Reinventing Gladstone? The public conscience and the public
- domain 72
- DAVID MARQUAND 3 The re-constitution of the public domain 85
- HARRY ARTHURS
- Section 2
- Moving the boundary between the market and the state: the political theory of
- the public domain
- 4 Policy domain or public domain at a time of globalization 113
- SIMON REICH 5 The contested competence of NGOs and business in public life 129
- ROBIN HODESS 6 Social disability and the public good 148
- MARCIA RIOUX AND EZRA ZUBROW
- PART 2
- THE PUBLIC DOMAIN AFTER THE WASHINGTON CONSENSUS: CASES AND
- Section 3
- Rethinking public goods in an era of globalization: polarized societies, market intrusiveness and social well-being in highly unstable market settings
- 7 The informational commons at risk 175
- ALASDAIR ROBERTS 8 Avoiding the tragedy of the commons: greening governance through the market or the public domain 202
- KEITH STEWART 9 Human security in the global era 229
- KYLE GRAYSON Section 4
- Global governance and new state practices
- 10 Public goods: taking the concept into the twenty-first century 255
- INGE KAUL
- 11 The public good versus private interests and the global financial and monetary system 274
- GEOFFREY UNDERHILL 12 Regionalism: the meso public domain in Latin America and South-East Asia 296
- AMITAV ACHARYA PART 3
- THE RETURN OF THE PUBLIC
- Section 5
- New sites of policy contest
- 13 Global markets and social legitimacy: the case of the 'global' compact 321
- GEORGE KELL AND JOHN RUGGIE 14 Democratizing globalism 335
- SOL PICCIOTTO 15 Saving the social bond and recovering the public domain 360
- RICHARD DEVETAK AND RICHARD HIGGOTT
- Index 381.