Reforming the European Union : realizing the impossible /
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
- Corporate Subject:
- Reforming the European Union : realizing the impossible / Daniel Finke, Thomas König, Sven-Oliver Proksch, and George Tsebelis.
- Main Author:
- Finke, Daniel.
- Other Authors:
Princeton University Press, 2012
"For decades the European Union tried changing its institutions, but achieved only unsatisfying political compromises and modest, incremental treaty revisions. In late 2009, however, the EU was successfully reformed through the Treaty of Lisbon. Reforming the European Union examines how political leaders ratified this treaty against all odds and shows how this victory involved all stages of treaty reform negotiations--from the initial proposal to referendums in several European countries. The authors emphasize the strategic role of political leadership and domestic politics, and they use state-of-the-art methodology, applying a comprehensive data set for actors' reform preferences. They look at how political leaders reacted to apparent failures of the process by recreating or changing the rules of the game. While domestic actors played a significant role in the process, their influence over the outcome was limited as leaders ignored negative referendums and plowed ahead with intended reforms. The book's empirical analyses shed light on critical episodes: strategic agenda setting during the European Convention, the choice of ratification instrument, intergovernmental bargaining dynamics, and the reaction of the German Council presidency to the negative referendums in France, the Netherlands, and Ireland."--
- Physical Description:
xvi, 227 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Includes bibliographical references (pages -219) and index.
- Princeton : Princeton University Press, 
- Content Type:
- Media Type:
- Carrier Type:
Table of Contents
- From the European Convention to the Lisbon Agreement and beyond : a veto player analysis / George Tsebelis
- Revealing constitutional preferences in the European Convention / Sven-Oliver Proksch
- The art of political manipulation in the European Convention / George Tsebelis and Sven-Oliver Proksch
- Actors and positions on the reform of the Treaty of Nice / Thomas König and Daniel Finke
- Why (unpopular) leaders announce popular votes / Thomas König and Daniel Finke
- Principals and agents : from the Convention's proposal to the Constitutional Treaty / Thomas König and Daniel Finke
- In the aftermath of the negative referendums : the Irish Resistance / Thomas König and Daniel Finke
- Appendix : Research Design and Methodology / Thomas König and Sven-Oliver Proksch.