Living legislation : durability, change, and the politics of American lawmaking /
- Publication info:
- Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, , ©2012.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Living legislation : durability, change, and the politics of American lawmaking / edited by Jeffery A. Jenkins and Eric M. Patashnik.
- Other Authors:
Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, 2012
Politics is at its most dramatic during debates over important pieces of legislation. It is thus no stretch to refer to legislation as a living, breathing force in American politics. And while debates over legislative measures begin before an item is enacted, they also endure long afterward, when the political legacy of a law becomes clear. "Living Legislation" provides fresh insights into contemporary American politics and public policy. Of particular interest to the contributors to this volume is the question of why some laws stand the test of time while others are eliminated, replaced, or significantly amended. Among the topics the essays discuss are how laws emerge from - and effect change within - coalition structures, the effectiveness of laws at mediating partisan conflicts, and the ways in which laws interact with broader shifts in the political environment. An essential addition to the study of politics, "Living Legislation" enhances our understanding of democracy, governance, and power. -- Back cover.
- Physical Description:
vi, 359 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- Living legislation and American politics / Jeffery A. Jenkins and Eric M. Patashnik
- Making the modern American legislative state / William J. Novak
- Durability and change in the president's legislative policy agenda, 1799-2002 / Jeffrey E. Cohen and Matthew Eshbaugh-Soha
- Coalition structure and legislative innovation in American national government / Sean Gailmard and Jeffery A. Jenkins
- The lives and deaths of federal programs, 1971-2003 / Christopher R. Berry, Barry C. Burden, and William G. Howell
- Beyond legislative productivity : enactment conditions, subsequent conditions, and the shape and life of the law / Forrest Maltzman and Charles R. Shipan
- How unpopular policies become popular after adoption / Amihai Glazer
- Why some reforms last and others collapse : the Tax Reform Act of 1986 versus airline deregulation / Eric M. Patashnik
- Policy durability and agency design / David E. Lewis
- Judicial delimitation in the New Deal era / Stuart Chinn
- The significance of policy failures in political development : the law enforcement assistance administration and the growth of the carceral state / Vesla M. Weaver
- Lawmaking as a cognitive enterprise / David R. Mayhew
- The politics of the policymaking state / Sidney M. Milkis.