The prosecutor in transnational perspective /
- Publication info:
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, c2012.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- The prosecutor in transnational perspective / [edited by] Erik Luna and Marianne L. Wade.
- Other Authors:
Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2012
- Local Note:
Original publisher?s dust jacket is kept and preserved as a separate item.
"The American prosecutor plays a powerful role in the judicial system, wielding the authority to accept or decline a case, choose which crimes to allege, and decide the number of counts to charge. These choices, among others, are often made with little supervision or institutional oversight. This prosecutorial discretion has prompted scholars to look to the role of prosecutors in Europe for insight on how to reform the American system of justice. In The Prosecutor in Transnational Perspective, Erik Luna and Marianne Wade, through the works of their contributors coupled with their own analysis, demonstrate that valuable lessons can be learned from a transnational examination of prosecutorial authority. They examine both parallels and distinctions in the processes available to and decisions made by prosecutors in the United States and Europe. Ultimately, they demonstrate how the enhanced role of the prosecutor represents a crossroads for criminal justice with weighty legal and socio-economic consequences"--Provided by publisher.
- Physical Description:
xvii, 471 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- The prosecutor as policy maker, case manager and investigator / Erik Luna and Marianne L. Wade. Prosecution guidelines in the United States / Ellen S. Podgor
- Procedural justice, collateral consequences, and the adjudication of misdemeanors in the United States / John D. King
- Is the journey from the in-box to the out-box a straight line? : the drive for efficiency and the prosecution of low-level criminality in Germany / Shawn Boyne
- The interaction and relationship between prosecutors and police officers in the United States, and how this affects police reform efforts / David A. Harris
- Prosecutorial control of investigations in Europe : a call for judicial oversight / Stefan Braum
- Plea bargaining and other "consensual procedures" / Erik Luna and Marianne L. Wade. The prosecutor's role : plea bargaining and evidentiary exclusion / Craig Bradley
- Prosecutors and bargaining in weak cases : a comparative view / Jenia Iontcheva Turner
- Guilty pleas and the changing role of the prosecutor in French criminal justice / Jacqueline Hodgson
- The Dutch prosecutor : a prosecuting and sentencing officer / Peter J.P. Tak
- The penal order : prosecutorial sentencing as a model for comparative criminal justice reform? / Stephen C. Thaman
- Adversarial and inquisitorial systems : distinctive aspects and convergent trends / Erik Luna and Marianne L. Wade. A perfect storm : prosecutorial discretion in the United States / William T. Pizzi
- American prosecutors' powers and obligations in the era of plea bargaining / Darryl K. Brown
- The evolving role of the English Crown Prosecution Service / Chris Lewis
- Prosecutorial powers and policy making in Sweden and the other Nordic countries / Josef Zila
- The Italian public prosecutor : an inquisitorial figure in adversarial proceedings? / Michele Caianiello
- Obsolete procedural actors? : Polish prosecutors and their evidence-gathering duty before and during trial in an inquisitorial environment / Antoni Bojańczyk
- Prosecution in exceptional contexts and nondomestic for a / Erik Luna and Marianne L. Wade. Prosecuting terrorism : models for confronting organized violence / Wayne McCormack
- Prosecuting in the military / Timothy C. MacDonnell
- Obtaining guilty pleas for international crimes : prosecutorial difficulties / Nancy Amoury Combs
- Murder by any other name : genocide and the prosecutorial challenges / John Winterdyk
- Overview and outlook : toward comparative prosecution studies / Erik Luna and Marianne L. Wade. A judge by another name? : comparative perspectives on the role of the public prosecutor / Thomas Weigend
- Reporting for duty : the universal prosecutorial accountability puzzle and an experimental transparency alternative / Marc L. Miller and Ronald F. Wright
- Failures of the prosecutor's duty to "do justice" in extraordinary and ordinary miscarriages of justice / Robert P. Mosteller
- Looking back and at the challenges ahead / Erik Luna and Marianne Wade.