Contours of a people [electronic resource] : Metis family, mobility, and history /
- Publication info:
- Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, c2012.
- EBook, Book, Online
- Contours of a people [electronic resource] : Metis family, mobility, and history / edited by Nicole St-Onge, Carolyn Podruchny, and Brenda Macdougall.
- Corporate Author:
- Other Authors:
Norman : University of Oklahoma Press, 2012
Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. Available via World Wide Web.
- Source of Description:
Description based on print version record.
- Item Description:
Description based on print version record.Includes index.
- Physical Description:
1 online resource.
0806188170 (electronic bk.)9780806188171 (electronic bk.)
Access restricted to York University faculty, staff and students.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: cultural mobility and the countors of difference / Brenda Macdougall, Catolyn Podruchny, and Nicole St-Onge
- Red River redux: métis ethnogenesis and the Great Lakes region / Jacqueline Peterson
- Scuttling along a spider's web: mobility and kinship in metis ethnogenesis / Nicole St-Onge and Carolyn Podruchny
- The Battle of Seven Oaks and the articulation of a metis national tradition, 1811-1849 / Gerhard J. Ens
- Against spatialized ethnicity / Philip D. Wolfart
- "Le fond de l'ouest": teritoriality, oral geographies, and the métis in the nineteenth-century northwest / Étienne Rivard
- Thenogenesis, language, and identity: the genesis of Michif and other mixed languages / Peter Bakker
- In the shadows of honorable company: Nicolas Catelain and the métis of Fort Frances / Victor P. Lytwyn
- Women, networks, and colonization in nineteenth-century Wisconsin / Lucy Eldersveld Murphy
- Une femme en vaut deux
- "Strong like two people": Marie Fisher Gaudet of Fort Good Hope, Northwest Territories / Diane P. Payment
- The Montana Metis and the shifting boundaries of belonging / Michel Hogue
- Métis networks in British Columbia: examples from the central interior / Mike Evans, Jean Barman, and Gabrielle Legault, with Erin Dolmage and Geoff Appleby
- The creoles of Russian America: laborers in the borderlands / Daniel J. Blumlo
- Settling for community? Juridical visions of historical metis collectivity in and after R. v. Powley / Chris Anderson
- The myth of metis cultural ambivalence / Brenda Macdougall.