Realising the dream : unlearning the logic of race in the South African school /
- Publication info:
- Cape Town : Human Sciences Research Council Press, 2012.
On the Shelf
- Realising the dream : unlearning the logic of race in the South African school / Craig Soudien.
- Main Author:
- Soudien, Crain.
Cape Town : Human Sciences Research Council Press, 2012
Also available online.
"Beginning with a comprehensive scoping of the theoretical literature on race and social difference, the book delivers a meticulous examination of how the 'logic of race' is played out in the lives of post-apartheid South African school students. Based in two decades of empirical research, this compelling and insightful analysis reveals how the ongoing preoccupation with race not only obscures, but also prevents the evolution of new ways of understanding privilege and subordination."--P.  of cover.
- Physical Description:
xv, 270 p. ; 21 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9780796923806 (pbk.)0796923809 (pbk.)9780796923813 (pdf)0796923817 (pdf)9780796923820 (e-pub)0796923825 (e-pub)
Table of Contents
- Introduction: 'Hey you black man, hey you white woman': calling race
- Social difference and its history
- The obdurate nature of race
- Creolisation, multiplicity, education and identity
- The racial nature of South African schooling
- Constituting the class: integration in South African schools
- The asymmetries of contact in the South African school
- Reconstituting privilege: integration in former white schools
- The complexity of subordination in the new South Africa
- Structure and agency: young South Africans struggling against history
- Thinking and living our way forward.