Carnival : theory and practice /
- Publication info:
- Trenton, N.J. : Africa World Press, c2013.
On the Shelf
- Carnival : theory and practice / edited by Christopher Innes, Annabel Rutherford, and Brigitte Bogar.
- Other Authors:
Trenton, N.J. : Africa World Press, 2013
- Item Description:
Papers originally presented at an international conference on "Carnival, a people's art and taking back the streets," held in Toronto, July 30-August 3, 2008, to coincide with the Caribana Festival.
- Physical Description:
xiii, 355 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1592218482 (hardcover)9781592218486 (hardcover)1592218490 (pbk.)9781592218493 (pbk.)
Table of Contents
- Introduction / Christopher Innes
- Contemporary carnival in perspective. Peter Minshall: "Nignorance & enwhitenment"
- The African heritage. Modesto Amegago: interrogating the roots, elements, and crossovers of the Caribbean carnival: a case of West African celebrations
- Henry Lovejoy: drums of Sàngó: bàtia drums and the symbolic reestablishment of the Oyo Empire in colonial Cuba, 1817-1867
- Sabrina Ensfelder: the African heritage in Trinidad's carnival: from cultural resistance to identity negotiation
- Caribbean carnival. Jeff Henry: Carnival/masquerade in Trinidad: resistance through performance
- Teruyuki Tsuji: From Negue Jardin to Jamet: the articulation of carnival in 19th-century Trinidad
- Jeffrey Chock: The mas I know
- Suzanne Deborah Burke: Policing the people's festival: state policy and the Trinidad carnival complex
- The carnival diaspora. Paul Lovejoy: Transformations of masquerades in the African diaspora
- Phil Scher: The power and pitfalls of carnival as cultural heritage
- United States. Bruce Boyd Raeburn: Too hip to hope? post-Katrina brass bands and New Orleans carnival
- Britain. Lesley Ferris: "Designing for the diaspora: images of resistance in contemporary British carnival"
- Canada. Jerry & Leida Englar: The history of Shadowland and their take back the streets work
- Donna Coombs-Montrose: Building the carnival arts in Western Canada: the Cariwest experiment
- Steelpan and carnival. Karen Cyrus: Sounds of the carnival diaspora: amateur steel bands in the QTA
- Lionel McCalman: Carnival and the steel band in perspective: from multiculturalism to community cohesion: a case study of the Notting Hill Carnival
- Haroun Shah, áDaniel Bessong, Evangelica Brumant: The impact of "pan around neck": steelpan performances at carnivals in Europe
- Calypso and carnival. Everard Phillips: The political calypso: a sociolinguistic process in conflict transformation
- Ray Funk: Sir Lancelot : taking calypso from carnival to nightclubs, Hollywood, and the world
- Designing and producing carnival. Loyce Arthur: Artists who dare: carnival designers
- Tony Hall: The jouvay popular theatre process [JPTP]
- Peter Minshall: working in mase.