Transforming rights [electronic resource] : reflections from the front lines /
- Publication info:
- Toronto [Ont.] : University of Toronto Press, c2009 (Toronto, Ont. : Scholars Portal, 2013)
- EBook, Book, Online
- Transforming rights [electronic resource] : reflections from the front lines / Maxwell Yalden.
- Main Author:
- Yalden, Max.
- Corporate Author:
Toronto [Ont.] : University of Toronto Press, 2009(Toronto, Ont. : Scholars Portal, 2013)
Also available in print version.
Transforming Rights draws on Yalden's extensive experience in rights work to provide a personal assessment of how issues of human rights and language rights have evolved over the past forty years, both within Canada and internationally.
- Physical Description:
1 electronic text (xiv, 265 p.) : digital file.
- Technical Details:
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Bibliography:Includes bibliographical references (p. -259) and index.
- ISBN:9781442670167 (PDF)
- Access:Access restricted to York University faculty, staff and students.
Table of Contents
- Pt. 1. Introduction
- 1. Personal file
- 2. School, university, graduate studies
- 3. A public service career
- Pt. 2. Language rights
- 1. The background to language reform
- 2. The origins of the Royal Commission on Bilingualism and Biculturalism
- 3. The Royal Commission recommendations and government reactions
- 4. Summary of commission proposals and government reactions
- Pt. 3. Human rights
- 1. Introduction
- 2. The universality of human rights norms
- 3. Perspectives on human rights
- 4. The Canadian experience
- 5. Discrimination
- 6. Multiculturalism
- 7. Employment equity
- 8. Pay equity
- 9. Aboriginal rights
- Pt. 4. Human rights and international relations
- 1. International human rights machinery
- 2. The High Commissioner for Human Rights
- 3. Regional human rights machinery
- 4. The Human rights covenants and the treaty bodies
- 5. Canada and international human rights machinery
- 6. Canada and human rights violations
- Pt. 5. Summing up and conclusions
- 1. Language rights
- 2. Human rights
- Appendix. Official languages and human rights commissioners.