The media gaze [electronic resource] : representations of diversities in Canada /
- Publication info:
- Vancouver : UBC Press, c2011.
- EBook, Book, Online
- The media gaze [electronic resource] : representations of diversities in Canada / Augie Fleras.
- Main Author:
- Fleras, Augie, 1947-
- Corporate Author:
Vancouver : UBC Press, 2011
- Physical Description:
xi, 300 p. ; 24 cm.
- Technical Details:
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Bibliography:Includes bibliographical references (p. -291) and index.
- ISBN:0774821361 (hc)9780774821360 (hc)9780774821384 (e-book)
- Access:Access restricted to York University faculty, staff and students.Limited to one user at a time and no downloads.
Table of Contents
- Disassembling media representations 101
- Conceptualizing media gazes
- Racialized media, mediated racism
- A gendered media: male media gazes in a feminist world
- Media, classed: framing the rich, the poor, and the working in-between
- Sexuality in the media: the new media gays
- Engaging age(ism): young adults, older adults
- Racializing immigrants/refugees: news framing the other within
- Advertising beauty: what is Dove really doing?
- Reclaiming a muscular masculinity: televising a working-class heroic / with the assistance of Dr. Shane Dixon
- Framing religion: media blind spot or coverage that blinds?
- Social media as oppositional gaze
- Unsilencing Aboriginal voices: toward an Indigenous media gaze
- Ethnic media: "empowering the people"
- Conclusion: re-engaging the media gaze.