Marginality & condemnation : an introduction to criminology /
- Publication info:
- Halifax, [N.S.] : Fernwood Pub., c2008.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Marginality & condemnation : an introduction to criminology / edited by Carolyn Brooks & Bernard Schissel.
- Other Authors:
Halifax, [N.S.] : Fernwood Pub., 2008
- 2nd edition
- Variant Title:
- Marginality and condemnation : an introduction to criminology
- Local Note:
Osgoode faculty contributor: Janet Mosher.
- Physical Description:
509 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- Orthodox criminology : the limits of consensus theories of crime / Bernard Schissel
- The emergence of pluralist theories in criminology / Lauren Eisler
- Critical criminology : rejecting short-term solutions to crime / Carolyn Brooks
- The sex question in criminology / Elizabeth Comack
- Misrepresentation or reality? : the depiction of race and crime in the Toronto print media / Scot Wortley
- The social construction of 'dangerous' girls and women / Karlene Faith and Yasmin Jiwani
- Crime statistics and the 'girl problem' / Sandra J. Bell
- Aboriginal people and social control : the state, law, and 'policing' / Les Samuelson and Patricia Monture
- Damaged children and broken spirits : a residential school survivor's story / Helen Cote, Nīno Mīkana Ikē Ka-Pimosēt (Woman Who Walks Two Roads), and Wendy Schissel
- A criminal justice history of children and youth in Canada : taking stock in the YCJA era / Shahid Alvi
- 'But they're not real criminals' : downsizing corporate crime / Laureen Snider
- Welfare fraudsters and tax evaders : the state's selective invocation of criminality / Janet Mosher
- Crime-making on the street : a critical perspective / Willem de Lint and Christian Pasiak
- Aren't women violent too? : the gendered nature of violence / Elizabeth Comack, Vanessa Chopyk and Linda Wood
- The politics of imprisonment / Carolyn Brooks
- 'Armed and dangerous'/'known to police' : racializing suspects / Carl E. James
- Women in prison in Canada / Helen Boritch
- Doing time / Donald Morin
- The application of criminological theory to contemporary 'crime' issues / Carolyn Brooks and Bernard Schissel
- Restorative justice, inequality, and social change / Rob White
- A letter from a Saskatoon Youth Court / Kearney Healy.