Religion and the exercise of public authority /
- Publication info:
- Oxford ; Portland, Oregon : Hart Publishing, 2016.
- EBook, Book, Online
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
|Due: Mar 26, 2018||LAW-BOOK|
On the Shelf
A draught of an act of Parliament for tolerating the Roman Catholick religion in the province of Quebec, and for encouraging and introducing the Protestant religion into the said province and for vesting the lands belonging to certain religious houses in the said province in the crown of this kingdom, for the support of the civil government of the said province and for other purposes / [Francis Maseres]. --
KF 4483 C3 M38
Ecclesiastical minefields : a guide, casebook and materials, including a criticism of certain portions of The manual and sexual abuse guidelines of the United Church of Canada, for use by students, both laity and clergy / Ian W. Outerbridge ; with C. Gordon Ross, Joseph H. Kary ; foreword by Victor A. Shepherd ; preface by Ralph Watson.
KF 4483 C3 O87 1994
The Rectories of Upper Canada : being a return to an address of the Honourable the House of Commons, dated 11th March, 1839, for copies or extracts of the correspondence between the Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada and the secretary of state, on the subject of the creation of rectories in that province by Sir John Colborne.
KF 4483 C3 R43 1839
Canadian clergy reserves : speeches of the Hon. Colonel Burwell, in the House of Assembly, the right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Toronto, and the Hon. P. de Blaquiere, in the Legislative Council, together with the letter of Governor Simcoe, 1790 to 1797, read by Mr. de Blaquiere in the debate, and the protests entered against the bill of Mr. Poulett Thomson, which is inserted as an appendix, taken from "The Cobourg church" Upper Canada paper, and re-printed at the expense of the Stewart Missions / by the Rev. W.J.D. Waddilove. --
KF 4483 C3 W34
Charter cases, 1986-87 : proceedings of the October 1986 Colloquium of the Canadian Bar Association in Montreal / edited by Gérald-A. Beaudoin = Causes invoquant la Charte, 1986-87 : actes de la Conférence de l'Association du Barreau canadien tenue à Montréal en octobre 1986 / sous la direction de Gérald A. Beaudoin.
KF 4483 C514 1986
Your clients and the Charter, liberty and equality : proceedings of the October 1987 Colloquium of the Canadian Bar Association in Montreal / edited by Gérald-A. Beaudoin = Vos clients et la Charte, liberté et égalité : actes de la Conférence de l'Association du barreau canadien tenue à Montréal en octobre 1987 / sous la direction de Gérald-A. Beaudoin.
KF 4483 C514 1987
The Charter : ten years later : proceedings of the April 1992 Colloquium of the Canadian Bar Association and the Department of Justice of Canada in Ottawa / edited by Gérald-A. Beaudoin = La Charte : dix ans après : actes de la Conférence de l'Association du Barreau canadien et du Ministère de la justice du Canada tenue à Ottawa en avril 1992 / sous la direction de Gérald-A. Beaudoin.
KF 4483 C514 1992
- Religion and the exercise of public authority / edited by Benjamin L. Berger and Richard Moon.
- Other Authors:
Hart Publishing, 2016
Also available online via ProQuest ebrary.
- Ownership History:
Osgoodiana copy signed by editor Benjamin Berger.
- Local Note:
Osgoode faculty contributors: Benjamin Berger, Faisal Bhabha.
"In the burgeoning literature on law and religion, scholarly attention has tended to focus on broad questions concerning the scope of religious freedom, the nature of toleration and the meaning of secularism. An under-examined issue is how religion figures in the decisions, actions and experiences of those charged with performing public duties. This point of contact between religion and public authority has generated a range of legal and political controversies around issues such as the wearing of religious symbols by public officials, prayer at municipal government meetings, religious education and conscientious objection by public servants. Authored by scholars from a variety of disciplines, the chapters in this volume provide insight into these and other issues. Yet the volume also provides an entry point into a deeper examination of the concepts that are often used to organise and manage religious diversity, notably state neutrality. By examining the exercise of public authority by individuals who are religiously committed ? or who, in the discharge of their public responsibilities, must account for those who are ? this volume exposes the assumptions about legal and political life that underlie the concept of state neutrality and reveals its limits as a governing ideal."
- Item Description:
"This collection arose out of a workshop held at Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, in the autumn of 2014"--acknowledgements.
- Physical Description:
viii, 209 pages ; 24 cm
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Oxford ; Portland, Oregon : Hart Publishing, 2016.
Table of Contents
- Introduction : religious neutrality and the exercise of public authority / Richard Moon and Benjamin L. Berger
- The meaning and entailment of the religious neutrality of the state : the case of public employees / Jocelyn Maclure
- Against circumspection : judges, religious symbols, and signs of moral independence / Benjamin L. Berger
- Religious lawyering and legal ethics / Faisal Bhabha
- Managing and imagining religion in Canada from the top and the bottom : 15 years after / Paul Bramadat
- God keep our land : the legal ritual of the McKenna-McBride Royal Commission, 1913-16 / Pamela E. Klassen
- In/visible religion in public institutions : Canadian Muslim public servants / Amélie Barras, Jennifer A. Selby, and Lori G. Beaman
- The prayer case saga in Canada : an expert insider? : perspective on praying in the political and public arenas / Solange Lefebvre
- Physicians' rights to conscientious objection / Bruce Ryder
- Conscientious objections by civil servants : the case of marriage commissioners and same-sex civil marriages / Richard Moon
- A freedom of religion-based argument for the regulation of religious schools / Daniel M. Weinstock
- "Open house/portes ouvertes" : classrooms as sites of interfaith interface / Shauna Van Praagh.