Between rights and responsibilities : a fundamental debate /
- Publication info:
- Cambridge ; Antwerp ; Portland : Intersentia, 
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
Les défis des droits fondamentaux : universalité et diversité, droit au développement, liberté de religion, statut du juge en Afrique : actes des deuxièmes Journées scientifiques du Réseau Droits fondamentaux de l'Agence universitaire de la francophonie tenues à Québec du 29 septembre au 2 octobre 1999 / publiées sous la direction du pr Jacques-Yvan Morin et du pr Ghislain Otis.
K 3239.8 A43 2000
Les clauses facultatives de la Convention européenne des droits de l'homme : actes de la table ronde / organisée par la Faculté de Droit de l'Université de Bari en liason avec le Conseil de l'Europe et l'Institut international des droits de l'Homme (Bari, 17-18 décembre 1973).
K 3239.8 C63 1973
Les droits culturels et sociaux des plus défavorisés : actes du colloque international organisé le 18 avril 2008 à Louvain-la-Neuve par la Faculté de droit de l'Université de Louvain (UCL) en association avec la Faculté de droit de l'Université d'Ottawa et la Faculté de droit et de science politique de l'Université de Rennes / sous la direction de Marc Verdussen ; avec les contributions de Bernard Antoine ... [et al.].
K 3239.8 D76 2009
- Between rights and responsibilities : a fundamental debate / edited by Stephan Parmentier, Hans Werdmölder, Michaël Merrigan.
- Other Authors:
"The last decade has witnessed increased criticism of the classical human rights paradigm for its obsession with the 'culture of claims and rights'. According to its critics, this culture has led to an obsession with the rights of individuals at the expense of focusing on groups and communities worldwide, and moreover, neglecting responsibilities and duties. It is also argued that the Western emphasis on the rights of individuals should be overcome by paying more attention to the responsibilities of individuals and collectivities as represented in other cultures of the world, and several documents have been drafted to this effect. These discussions, and the ensuing documents, are far from only theoretical or abstract but are grounded in day-to-day realities, as the ongoing debates on globalisation, multiculturalism, terrorism, and the like clearly illustrate. This volume comprises ten original chapters that were presented for the first time at a colloquium held at the Faculty of Law of the University of Leuven (Belgium) back in 2006, and subsequently reworked and fine-tuned over the years. Part I sets the scene of the debate about fundamental rights and fundamental responsibilities, while in Part II the implications of an emphasis on responsibilities, duties and obligations are concretised in specific areas and through specific cases. This book cannot answer all the questions posed by the changing realities of rights and responsibilities in today's world, which is undergoing profound changes. However, it does aim to shed new light on important problems related to some of the major transformations occurring in European and Western societies and the ensuing changes in philosophical, political, social and legal thinking. It is therefore directed to academics, as well as policy-makers at various levels, the media and any person interested in a deeper understanding of new challenges for the modern world."
- Physical Description:
xvi, 264 pages ; 24 cm
Includes bibliographical references.
- Cambridge ; Antwerp ; Portland : Intersentia, 
- Copyright Notice Date:
Table of Contents
- Foreword / Paul Lemmens
- Introduction : Toward an integrated vision of rights and responsibilities / Stephan Parmentier, Hans Werdmölder, Michaël Merrigan
- Part I. Fundamental rights and fundamental responsibilities. Human rights and human responsibilities : setting the ethical and the conceptual scene / René Foqué
- Rights, responsibilities and duties for the civil society : moral challenges put forward by the millennium development goals / Willem van Genugten
- Steering clear of the twin shoals of a rights-based morality and a duty-based legality / Douglass Cassel
- Human duties and responsibilities for the reinforcement of human rights : the Declaration of Human Duties and Responsibilities (1998) / Patricia Morales
- Part II. Rights and responsibilities in specific contexts. Human rights in a globalising economy : is the right to social protection qualified by a duty to work? / Wouter Vandenhole
- Human rights in a globalising economy : rights and responsibilities of trade unions / Barbara J. Fick
- Fundamental rights and responsibilities within a multicultural society / Marlies Galenkam
- From Lawless to a human rights approach in the fight against terrorism : the Council of Europe standards / Martin Kuijer
- Children's rights at a dignitarian horizon of responsible parenthood / Jan C. M. Willem
- Individuals' duties in the African human rights protection system : challenges and prospects / Mumba Malila
- Declaration of human duties and responsibilities.