What matters in policing? : change, values and leadership in turbulent times /
- Publication info:
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- What matters in policing? : change, values and leadership in turbulent times / Auke van Dijk, Frank Hoogewoning and Maurice Punch.
- Main Author:
- Dijk, Auke van, 1967-
- Other Authors:
Bristol : Policy Press, 2015
"Studies of policing tend to focus on effectiveness 'on what works' rather than on the more important question of what matters, of why policing should be done in particular ways or reformed or restructured. This book explores that angle, looking at the implications of recent restructurings in the United States, the United Kingdom, and the Netherlands, with a special emphasis on the dilemmas faced by police leadership as they confront change."
- Physical Description:
xiv, 226 pages ; 24 cm
Includes bibliographical references (pages 201-218) and index.
- Copyright Notice Date:
Table of Contents
- Foreword : a crisis in public policing
- 1. Policing in perilous times : change and leadership
- 2. Police systems, perspectives and contested paradigms
- 3. Sea of troubles : the nature of policing
- 4. When matters become 'really real' : commanding operations
- 5. Leadership and leadership development
- 6. Towards a comprehensive paradigm
- Appendix One. Two Cases of why COP falls short of its promise : London and Seattle
- Appendix Two. Netherlands, Amsterdam : agora, safe haven for confrontational thinking.