Pragmatics and law : practical and theoretical perspectives /
- Publication info:
- Cham, Switzerland : Springer, 
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Pragmatics and law : practical and theoretical perspectives / Francesca Poggi, Alessandro Capone, editors.
- Other Authors:
"This volume is the second part of a project which hosts an interdisciplinary discussion about the relationship among law and language, legal practice and ordinary conversation, legal philosophy and the linguistics sciences. An international group of authors, from cognitive science, philosophy of language and philosophy of law question about how legal theory and pragmatics can enrich each other. In particular, the first part is devoted to the analysis of how pragmatics can solve problems related to legal theory: What can pragmatics teach about the concept of law and its relationship with moral, and, in particular, about the eternal dispute between legal positivism and legal naturalism? What can pragmatics teach about the concept of law and/or legal disagreements? The second part is focused on legal adjudication: it aims to construct a pragmatic apparatus appropriate to legal trial and/or to test the tenure of the traditional pragmatics tools in the field. The authors face questions such as: Which interesting pragmatic features emerge from legal adjudication? What pragmatic theories are better suited to account for the practice of judgment or its particular aspects (such as the testimony or the binding force of legal precedents)? Which pragmatic and socio-linguistic problems are highlighted by this practice?"
- Item Description:
"This volume is the second part of a project which aims at exploring the last boundaries of the interdisciplinary studies concerning both legal theory and philosophy of language. The first part of the same project is represented by the book 'Pragmatics and Law : Philosophical Perspective' (Springer, 2016)."
- Physical Description:
xiv, 476 pages ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Cham, Switzerland : Springer, 
- Copyright Notice Date:
Table of Contents
- Preface / Francesca Poggi, Alessandro Capone
- Part I. Pragmatics and Legal Interpretation. Slippery Meaning and Accountability / Kasia M. Jaszczolt
- Implicitness in Normative Texts / Marina Sbisà
- What Inferentialism Tells Us About Combinatory Vagueness in Law / Damiano Canale
- On the Possibility of Non-literal Legislative Speech / Hrafn Asgeirsson
- The Pragmatics of Scepticism / Pierluigi Chiassoni
- Doubting Legal Language : Interpretive Skepticism and Legal Practice / Nicola Muffato
- Legal Text and Pragmatics : Semantic Battles or the Power of the Declarative in Specialized Discourse / Ekkehard Felder
- Part II. Pragmatics and Legal Theory. A Puzzle About Hart's Theory of Internal Legal Statements / Michael S. Green
- Can Metalinguistic Negotiations and 'Conceptual Ethics' Rescue Legal Positivism? / Teresa Marques
- The Dark Side of Imperatives / Alessio Sardo
- Disputable Means : Pragmatic Knowledge Practices in Sovereign Debt Agreements : Reflections on the Argentinian Case / Leticia Barrera
- The Role of Pragmatics in the Web of Data / Pompeu Casanovas, Víctor Rodríguez-Doncel, and Jorge González-Conejero
- Part III. Pragmatics and Legal Adjudication
- Pragmatics of Adjudication : In the Footsteps of Alf Ross / Mauro Barberis
- Pragmatic Disorders in Forensic Settings / Louise Cummings
- The Pragmatics of Stereotypes in Legal Decision-Making / Federico José Arena
- Epistemic Stance in Courtroom Interaction / Sune Sønderberg Mortensen and Janus Mortensen
- Assessing Testimony and Other Evidential Sources in Law : An Epistemological Approach / Florencia Rimoldi and Hernán G. Bouvier.