New intimacies, old desires : law, culture and queer politics in neoliberal times /
- Publication info:
- New Delhi : Zubaan, 2017.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
Humanitarian initiative against political "disappearances" : a study of the status and potential of international humanitarian and human rights instruments, and the role of the Internationl [sic] Committee of the Red Cross, in protecting against the practice of enforced or involuntary "disappearances" / Jan Egeland.
K 3242.5 E35 1982
- New intimacies, old desires : law, culture and queer politics in neoliberal times / editors Oishik Sircar, Dipika Jain.
- Other Authors:
- Portion of Title:
- Law, culture and queer politics in neoliberal times
"In the last fifteen years, great strides have been made in advancing the rights of queer people. In the same period that these victories have been secured by queer movements, we've seen the rise of crony capitalism, violent consequences of the war on terror, the hyper-juridification of politics, the financialization of social movements, and the medicalization of non-heteronormative identities and practices. But how do we critically read the celebratory global proliferation of queer rights in these neoliberal times? New Intimacies, Old Desires, edited by Oishik Sircar and Dipika Jain, collects answers to this question. The book analyzes laws, state policies, and cultures of activism to show how new intimacies between queer sexuality and a neoliberalism that celebrates modernity and the birth of the liberated sexual citizen, are in fact, reproducing the old colonial desire of civilizing the native. By paying particular attention to race, religion, and class, this volume engages in a rigorous, self-reflexive critique of global queer politics and its engagements, confrontations, and negotiations with modernity and its investments in liberalism, legalism, and militarism?all with the objective of queering the ethics of global politics."
- Item Description:
- Physical Description:
lxi, 560 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Includes bibliographical references.
- New Delhi : Zubaan, 2017.
- Copyright Notice Date:
Table of Contents
- Introduction : of powerful feelings and facile gestures / Oishik Sircar and Dipika Jain
- Homonationalism as assemblage : viral travels, affective sexualities / Jashir K. Puar
- Beyond 'hate' : queer metonymies of crime, pathology and anti-violence / Jin Haritaworn
- Transnational homo-assemblages : reading 'gender' in counterterrorism discourses / Dianne Otto
- Gender governance through law : populist moralism in aspiring democracies/economies / Josephine Ho
- Post-colonial queer globalization and international human rights : images of LGBT rights / Aeyal Gross
- The men of Blanket Boy's Moon : repugnancy clauses, customary law and migrant labour sex / Neville Hoad
- Slim disease and the science of silence : the erasure of same-sex sexuality in 'African AIDS' discourse, 1983-88 / Marc Epprecht
- Selfhood and archipelago in Indonesia : a case for human polyversatility / Vanja Hamzic
- The remote control of the 'I' we assume wants to come out : sexuality and governance in the Arab world / Sami Zeidan
- Queer anti-sociality and disability unbecoming : an ableist relations project? / Fiona Kumari Campbell
- In the shadow of the homoglobal : queer cosmopolitanism in Tsai Ming-liang's I Don't Want to Sleep Alone / Ani Maitra
- Racism, homophobia and compulsory able-bodiedness in the controversy over inter-cousin marriage / Ummni Khan
- Polymorphous reproductivity and the critique of futurity : towards a queer legal analytic for fertility law / Stu Marvel
- Baring and veiling : sex, politics, and national identity in Canadian legal discourse / Carolina S. Ruiz Austria
- Queer, beyond queer? / Nishant Upadhyay and Paulo Ravecca.