Southern slaves in free state courts : the pamphlet literature /
- Publication info:
- New York : Garland, 1988.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
Holdings: LAW v.1 v.2 v.3
On the Shelf
- Southern slaves in free state courts : the pamphlet literature / edited with an introduction by Paul Finkelman.
- Other Authors:
Slavery, race, and the American legal system, 1700-1872 ; series I, volumes 1-3
- Item Description:
Contains reproductions of early pamphlets regarding southern slaves in free state courts.
- Physical Description:
3 volumes ; 23 cm..
Includes bibliographical references.
- New York : Garland, 1988.
- Copyright Notice Date:
Table of Contents
- Volume 1. Introduction
- An argument in the case of James Sommersett a negro, lately determined by the Court of King's Bench : wherein it is attempted to demonstrate the present unlawfulness of domestic slavery in England. To which is prefixed a state of the case / Francis Hargrave
- Candid reflections upon the judgement lately awarded by the Court of King's Bench, in Westminster-Hall, on what is commonly called the negro cause, by a planter / Edward Long
- Britannia libera, or a defence of the free state of man in England, against the claim of any man there as slave
- Considerations on the negro cause commonly so called, addressed to the Right Honorable Lord Mansfield / Samuel Estwick
- A letter to Philo Africanus, upon slavery ; in answer to his of the 22nd of November, in the General Evening Post, together with the opinions of Sir John Strange, and other eminent lawyers upon this subject, with the sentence of Lord Mansfield, in the case of Somerset and Knowles, 1772, with His Lordship's explanation of that opinion in 1786
- The judgement of the Right Hon. Lord Stowell, respecting the slavery of the mongrel woman, Grace / John Haggard
- Considerations on certain remarks on the negro slavery and abolition, in Lord Stowell's judgement in the case of the slave "Grace". By a Briton
- Case of the slave-child Med. Report of the arguments of counsel and of the opinion of the court, in the case of commonwealth vs. Aves ; tried and determined in the supreme judicial Court of Massachusetts
- Volume 2. Speech of Salmon P. Chase, in the case of the colored woman, Matilda, who was brought before the Court of Common Pleas of Hamilton County, Ohio, by writ of habeas corpus ; March 11, 1837 / Salmon Portland Chase
- Report of the Holden Slave Case, tried at the [...] Court of Common Pleas, for the county of Worcester, A.D. 1839. Published by the board of directors of the Holden Anti-Slavert Society
- Argument of Robert J. Walker, Esq. Before the Supreme court of the United States, on the Mississippi slave question, at January term, 1841. Involving the power of Congress and the States to prohibit the inter-state slave trade / Robert J. Walker
- Examination of the decision of the Supreme Court of the United States, in the case of Strader, Gorman and Armstrong vs. Christopher Graham, delivered at its December term, 1850 : concluding with an address to the free colored people, advising them to remove to Liberia / James Gillespie Birney
- District Court of the United States for the eastern district of Pennsylvania : United States of America, ex relatione Wheeler vs. Williamson. Opinion of Judge Kane / John Kintzing Kane
- Case of Passmore Williamson. Report of the proceedings on the writ of habeas corpus, issued by the Hon. John K. Kane, judge of the District Court of the United States for the eastern district of Pennsylvania, in the case of the United States of America ex rel. John H. Wheeler vs. Passmore Williamson, including the several opinions delivered ; and the arguments of counsel, reported by Arthur Cannon, Esq.
- Narrative of facts in the case of Passmore Williamson
- Passmore Williamson vs. John K. Kane. Action for false imprisonment, before the Court of Common Pleas of Delaware County. Argument of Joseph J. Lewis, Esq. of Westchester, on the part of the plaintiff. Delivered at Media, December 17th and 18th 1856. Phonographically reported by David W. Brown / Joseph J. Lewis
- Volume 3. Dred Scott, Pl[ainti]ff in er[ror]. v. John F. A. Sandford. In error to the Circuit Court U.S. for the district of Missouri / U.S. Supreme Court
- Brief of plaintiff. In the Supreme Court of the United States, Dred Scott vs. John F. A. Sandford / Montgomery Blair
- Argument of Montgomery Blair of counsel for the plaintiff in error. In the Supreme Court of the United States. Dred Scott v. Sandford / Montgomery Blair
- Brief for defendant in error. In the Supreme Court of the United States Dred Scott vs. John F. A. Sandford / H. S. Geyer
- Argument of Mr. Curtis of behalf of plaintfiff. In the Supreme Court of the United States, Dred Scott vs. John F. A. Sandford / George Ticknor Curtis
- Dred Scott vs. John F. A. Sandford. Additional brief of M. Blair for appellant / U.S. Supreme Court
- The constitutional power of Congress over the territories. An argument delivered in the Supreme Court of the United States, December 18, 1856, in the case of Dred Scott, plaintiff in error, vs. John F. A. Sandford / George T. Curtis
- The case of Dred Scott in the United States Supreme Court. The full opinions of Chief Justice Taney and Justice Curtis, abstracts of the opinions of the other judges ; with an analysis of the points ruled and some concluding observations / U.S. Supreme Court
- An examination of the case of Dred Scott against Sandford, in the Supreme Court of the United States, and a full and fair exposition of the decision of the Court and of the opinions of the majority of the judges / Samuel Alfred Foot
- A legal review of the case of Dred Scott, as decided by the Supreme Court of the United States / Horace Gray and John Lowell Jr.
- A review of the decision of the Supreme Court of the United States in the Dred Scott case. By a Kentucky lawyer
- The slavery question. Dred Scott decision. To the free voters of Ohio
- The Dred Scott Decision. Opinion of Cheif Justice Taney, with an introduction by Dr. J. H. Van Evie. Also, an appendix, containing an essay on the natural history of the prognathous race of mankind, originally written for the New York Day-Book, by Dr. S. A. Cartwright of New Orleans. Short notes on the Dred Scott case / J. T. Brooke
- The people ex rel. Louis N. Bonaparte, vs. Jonathan Lemmon, appellant
- Speech of the Hon. Erastus Brooks, in the N.Y. senate, Feb. 7, 8, and 13, 1855. The Lemmon slave case and slavery / Erastus Brooks
- Jonathan Lemmon, a citizen of the state of Virginia vs. the people of the state of New York, ex rel. Louis Napoleon. Mr Evart's points / Supreme Court, State of New York
- Report of the Lemmon slave case : containing points and arguments of counsel on both sides, and opinions of all the judges / New York Court of Appeals.