Placing a Hold on a book is a service to enable you to obtain library material currently checked out to someone else.
NOTE: Material will be processed the following day (except if the library is closed).
To request a hold:
- Find the specific material you want in the York Libraries Catalogue.
A hold will not be placed if:
- One or more copies are available
- The item is located on reserve, or the item circulates for a short loan period (e.g. video, audio materials)
- The item is lost, missing, on order, in process or non-circulating
- Your borrowing privileges are blocked or expired
- You have reached your hold limit (15 for York University borrowers and 5 for External borrowers)
- Click on the button in the catalogue, fill in the form and submit it
Other information to note:
- An item on extended loan period will be recalled for you; however, it may be several days before the item becomes available
- You must remember which library you selected as the pick-up location (this information does not appear in My Library Account or on the availability notice)
- There may be other hold requests before your request. Check in person at a circulation desk for your current position.