WHO MAY USE THE SERVICE
The service is available to faculty, staff, and students who hold a valid York University Library card. External borrowers (Alumni, Direct, Extra-mural, etc.) are not eligible.
We cannot process requests for a user whose library card is blocked.
WHAT CAN BE REQUESTED
We try to procure books, microfilm, copies of journal articles, and other material not owned by, or are missing from the York University Libraries collections.
Material requested must be for one’s own research purposes.
WHAT CANNOT BE REQUESTED
- Books that are listed in the York catalogue >If a book is charged out, place a hold/recall request
- Journals cannot be borrowed
- Multiple articles from one journal issue, or copies of more than one chapter from a book
- Textbooks, as they are usually in high demand, on reserve, or in circulation at the home library
- Rare Books and original manuscripts
- Audio-visual materials. Consult staff in the Sound and Moving Image Library for Interfilm information
- Patents and standards
Our service is free of charge with the following exceptions:
- Manuscript copies and other special items
- Borrowed material lost or damaged by the user may incur a charge for repair or a replacement fee >This fee is determined by the lending library
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
On average, articles take between 2-7 working days, and borrowed material between 5-10 working days to be supplied. Any material coming from outside the province might take longer.
If you have time restrictions, note this on the request form and/or discuss it with a Resource Sharing staff member.
PICK-UP AND RETURN OF MATERIALS
An e-mail will be sent to you when the material has been received. Your items will be available for pick up at your chosen library branch.
Books will be held for pickup until the due date.
Loan periods are determined by the lending library.
Articles are normally delivered via a secure web link.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
If you require assistance with pickup or return of interlibrary loan material, please contact us and we will try to make suitable arrangements.