York University Libraries
516 Scott Library
4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON M3J 1P3
I am the University Librarian at York University since July 2015. Prior to this position I was the Associate University Librarian for Content & Collections, and the Interim Associate University Librarian for Research & Learning at the University of Minnesota where I oversaw two of the Libraries main divisions with a portfolio that included the Libraries Access & Information Services, Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences departments, Acquisitions & Eresource Management, Collection Development, Collection Management & Preservation departments, and Open Scholarship & Publishing Services. A major focus in the last year included implementing a new vision for content services and overseeing the rollout of the University of Minnesota Provost’s open access policy. Prior to this position, I held a number of leadership positions at the University of British Columbia where I was most recently in charge of UBC’s Scholarly Communications & Copyright Office based within the University’s Library and earlier in my career I was the first Electronic Resources Librarian in North America at Columbia University in New York.
I have been involved in many cross institutional collaborations throughout my career that include invitations to serve on a national (joint Canadian Association of Research Libraries)/Canadian Research Knowledge Network) task group to examine the role of these organizations in supporting national open access policies in consultation with the Tri-Council funding agencies; I have been a faculty member with the ARL/ACRL (Association of College and Research Libraries) Institute for Scholarly Communications where I assisted other North American institutions with their scholarly communications and open access campus outreach programming and I was the program lead and one of the initiator’s of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) much lauded Scholarly Communications Road Show Program. My current research and scholarship is focused on building collaborative networks to advance, resource and provision emergent areas in digital scholarship.
Selected Current Presentations
- Invited speaker for full day scholarly communications focus group session with the Society for Scholarly Publishing special meeting. (August 2015). 100 attendees from society membership.
- Conducted ACRL Scholarly Communications Roadshow workshop hosted at Auburn University (May 2015). Over 60 attendees from area libraries.
- Presentation on Centers of Excellence Model Research at Advancing Research Communication & Scholarship (ARCS) 2015 Conference (April 2015). Over 100 researchers in attendance.
- CNI Presentation on research the Centers of Excellence Model for Information Services, Spring Membership Meeting, March 2015.
- Conducted ACRL Scholarly Communications Roadshow workshop hosted at the University of New Brunswick (June 2014). Over 60 attendees from area libraries.
- Conducted ACRL Scholarly Communications Roadshow workshop hosted at the Michigan State University (June 2014). Over 90 attendees from area libraries
- CNI Presentation on research the Centers of Excellence Model for Information Services, Spring Membership Meeting, March 2014.
- Conducted ACRL Scholarly Communications Roadshow workshops hosted at the University of Alberta (June 2013). Over 90 attendees from Canadian libraries.
- Conducted ACRL Scholarly Communications Roadshow workshops hosted at University of Toronto & James Madison University (Summer 2012). Over 60 attendees at each workshop from area libraries.
- Virginia Tech, Scholarly Communications Workshop Jan. 17-18, 2012. Invited to facilitate and lead a two-day workshop for Virginia Tech library staff and faculty on developing a scholarly communications outreach program at the university.
- American Library Association, Midwinter Conference, Conducted Pre-conference one day workshop: Scholarly Communications from understanding to engagement, Jan. 20, 2012
- Panel speaker, Open Access week, BC Campus Event, Simon Fraser University Downtown, October 17, 2011.
- ACRL Scholarly Communications Workshop: June 3, 2011, hosted at Brooklyn College for CUNY – City University Colleges and Institutes of New York. Delivered full day workshop for CUNY’s 23 institutions, 90 participants.
- ACRL Scholarly Communications Workshop: May 26, 2011, hosted at George Washington University for Washington Research Libraries Consortium. Delivered full day workshop to Washington Research Libraries, 70 participants.
- Scholarship in the Digital Age: Managing your author rights, copyright and changes in the system of scholarly communication. Seminar for the 14th Annual TAG Institute, UBC Centre for Teaching and Academic Growth, May 27, 2010: 9:00-12:00pm.
- ACRL Scholarly Communications 101 Workshop: April 28, 2010, hosted at Texas Tech University for Texan Academic Institutions: (Delivered workshop segments: Scholarly Communications System; Economics of Scholarship; Author Rights & Copyright; Open Access & Principles of Openness; New Models of Scholarly Communication)
- Keynote: Roundtable – Future of Digital Publishing, UBC Institute for Asian Research, 3:00-5:00pm, Nov. 26, 2009.
- Keynote – New roles for Librarians in Scholarly Communications, School of Library, Archival & Information Studies, September 15, 2009, 11:00-12:00.
- Scholarly Communications 101 Workshop: August 14, 2009, hosted University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, for Puerto Rican Academic Institutions: (Segments: Scholarly Communications System; Economics of Scholarship; Author Rights & Copyright; Open Access & Principles of Openness; New Models of Scholarly Communication)
- Workshop on Author Rights & Copyright: 2nd International PKP Pre-conference Session hosted by CLA Open Access Interest Group, Vancouver, BC, July 8, 2009, 11:00-12:00pm
- Scholarly Communications 101 Workshop: June 4, 2009, hosted at University of Buffalo for State University of New York at Buffalo Libraries & Southern Ontario Canadian Libraries (Segments: Scholarly Communications System; Economics of Scholarship; Author Rights & Copyright; Open Access & Principles of Open; New Models of Scholarly Communication)
- New Models of Scholarly Publishing, lecture and activity for Scholarly Communications 101 workshop, ACRL 14th National Conference, Seattle, WA., March 14, 2009.
- Advancing the Scholarly Communications Discussion on Campus: What’s Working, presentation for Roundtable Discussion ACRL 14th National Conference, Seattle, WA, March 14, 2009.
- Publishing in the Digital Era – Open Source Publishing and New Developments in Scholarly Communication. Seminar Presentation to Faculty in the Department of Audiology & Speech Sciences, March 24, 2009.
- The Emergence of New Models of Scholarly Publishing, Seminar presentation for ICapture faculty at St. Paul’s Hospital, June 6, 2008.
- New Faculty Orientation: Helped develop problem-based learning activity and facilitated activity for Teaching & Learning and Academic Growth (TAG): Two Sessions: August 25, 2008: 2:00- 4:00pm & January 8, 2009: 2:30pm-4:00pm.
- Open Access: Scholarly Research and Publishing in the 21st Century. Presentation to IMPART Program graduate students, British Columbia Centre of Excellence for Women’s Health, September 22, 2008, 3:30-4:30pm.
- Publishing Trends in the Digital Era, September 30, 2008, 10:00-12:00: Presentation to faculty & students of the Child & Family Research Institute, Childrens’ & Women’s Hospital
- Institute for Scholarly Communication, Orbis/Cascade Workshop, Portland, Oregon, December 1 – 3, 2008: Facilitated and presented three day workshop for Oregon/Washington area academic institutions
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS (selected recent)
- Kirchner, Joy, Jose Diaz, Geneva Henry, Susan Fliss, John Culshaw, Heather Gendron and Jon Cawthorne. The Center of Excellence Model for Information Services. Council on Library and Information Resources February 2015: http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub16
- Co-PI on Mellon funded planning grant to investigate the feasibility of Centers of Excellence for Information Services – white paper submitted.
- Kirchner, Joy and Kara Malenfant. “ACRL’s Scholarly Communications Roadshow – Bellwether for a Changing Profession.” chapter 17 in Scholarly Communications and Information Literacy. Association of College & Research Libraries March 2013.
- Contributor to: Creative Commons, National Science Foundation and University of New Mexico. Data Governance Workshop, Final Report, Arlington, VA, December 14-15, 2011: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/8/86/Data_Governance_Workshop_Final_Report_December_2011.pdf
- Hohner, Michael, Leah Vanderjagt, Joy Kirchner. “Celebrating International Open Access Week the COPPUL Scholarly Communications Task Group Way.” Partnership – The Canadian Journal of Library and Information Practice and Research. (Vol. 6, no.2, 2011): https://journal.lib.uoguelph.ca/index.php/perj/article/view/1700/2319
- Kirchner, Joy. “Sayeed Choudhury on establishing a university data management program,” BCLA Reporter (Vol. 3, no.1, 2011): http://bclabrowser.ca/index.php/browser/article/view/240
- Kirchner, Joy. “Scholarly Communications: Planning for the Integration of Liaison Librarian Roles.” Research Library Issues: A Bimonthly Report from ARL, CNI, and SPARC, no. 265 (August 2009): 22–28. http://www.arl.org/resources/pubs/rli/archive/rli265.shtml.
- Kirchner, Joy. “An Overview of Current Challenges in License Negotiation Practices: An Academic Library Perspective” chapter in monograph, Ejournals Management and Access, edited by Wayne Jones (New York: Haworth Information Press), 2007.