Terms of Reference
Finalized January 26, 2017.
The Working Group supports the work of the Open Access & Open Data Steering Committee. The purpose of the fixed term working group involves developing a campus education plan and engagement strategy to inform the York community about open access/open scholarship and the principle of openness in the context of UAP, IIRP, and PIER in the pursuit of a larger open access institutional policy implementation plan in consultation with the Steering Committee.
The Open Access Policy and Implementation Working Group will be expected to address the priorities identified by the Steering Committee or recommendations made by the Committee as high priority mandates, and/or undertake the investigation or further study of issues identified as priority activities.
Sponsor: Open Access Open Data Steering Committee
Tasks & Deliverables:
The working group is intended to advise and recommend a course of action to the OAODSC Steering Committee on the following priorities:
- Investigate best practices and models for an institutional open access policy.
- Development of infrastructure to support authors’ and users’ rights.
- Development of an education and engagement plan to raise awareness of the Tri-agency open access policy and its relationship to institutional open access policy.
- Development of a strategy for nurturing a scholarly culture that is that is mindful of multiple modes of research dissemination and disciplinary differences.
- Development of process and procedure for managing open access university funding for scholarly publications.
The membership should reflect York’s commitment to developing campus strategy for increasing the quality and impact of York’s research and scholarship, supporting mechanisms to enhance knowledge exchange and mobilization, enhancing York’s prominence internationally, and increasing the visibility of York’s creative works and scholarship as stated in the University Academic Plan, IIRP, and PIER.
- Carys Craig, Associate Dean Research, Osgoode
- Patricia Lynch, Copyright Office
- Mark Hayward, Assistant Prof., Faculty of LA&PS (co-chair)
- Logan Donaldson, Faculty of Science
- Joy Kirchner, University Librarian (co-chair)
- Rosemary J. Coombe, CRC in Law, Communication and Culture
- Sylvie Morin, Associate Dean Research, Science
Role of the Committee Members
The Chair of the working group will ensure
- All members’ diverse experiences and perspectives are treated respectfully;
- The Committee members’ time is respected and only debates about issues of strategic significance are brought to their attention for comment.
January 2018-July 2019
Frequency of Meetings
It is recommended that the meetings be scheduled at a minimum monthly.