Research data management (RDM) involves planning and making provisions for storage, access, and preservation of research data throughout a research project. It spans the entire research project lifecycle, from drafting the research plan, to implementing it, to the preservation and publication of data (where applicable).
In March 2021, Canada’s federal granting agencies — the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) — launched the Tri-Agency Research Data Management (RDM) Policy . The Tri-Agency policy includes requirements related to institutional research data management (RDM) strategies, data management plans (DMPs), and data deposit.
Beginning summer 2023, a limited number of Tri-Council grants will require the submission of a DMP (data management plan) as part of the application package.
The Open Access Open Data Steering Committee engaged in a broad community consultation process with York University stakeholders throughout 2021-2023 to produce an institutional RDM strategy by the Tri-Council deadline of March 1, 2023.
Below was the timeline for the development of the strategy and the associated consultations.
The following consultations were held:
- Dean’s Forum – October 25th, 2022
- Associate Deans of Research – October 25th, 2022
- Graduate Studies, Faculty Council – November 3rd, 2022
- Schulich School of Business, Faculty Council – November 4th, 2022
- Lassonde School of Engineering, Faculty Council – November 4th, 2022
- Liberal Arts and Professional Studies, Faculty Council – November 10th, 2022
- Glendon Faculty Council – November 25th, 2022
- Health, Faculty Council – December 7th, 2022
- Environmental and Urban Change – December 15, 2022
- Osgoode, Faculty Council – January 9, 2023
- Science, Faculty Council – January 10th, 2022
- Arts Media Performance and Design, Faculty Council – January 11th, 2023
- Education, Faculty Council – January 19th, 2023
- Indigenous Council – January 20th, 2023
- APPRC – January 19th, 2023
- Senate – January 26th, 2023
Draft Institutional Research Data Management Strategy and FAQ
The Open Access Open Data Steering Committee has developed an Institutional Data Management Strategy and an FAQ for the strategy. The Committee very much welcomes your feedback via our confidential web form by email at email@example.com.
Best Practices for Managing Research Data
February 15, 2023, 12:30pm – 2:00pm
This workshop introduces the general principles and best practices for data collection, storage, documentation, and sharing. You will learn about emerging principles, resources and tools that will help you plan and implement data management best practices throughout the data lifecycle and enable data reuse where appropriate.
Create a Data Management Plan (DMP) for Your Research Project
March 13, 2023, 12:30pm-2:00pm
This workshop discusses Data Management Plan requirements for a variety of funding agencies, and introduces the Canadian DMP Assistant tool which simplifies DMP creation for your research project.
Publishing Your Research Data in a Data Repository
March 27, 2023, 12:30-2:00pm
This workshop introduces the guiding principles of data publishing. You will learn how to prepare your data for sharing and long term access, and how to select a data repository that meets your needs. A brief overview of the data deposit process for York University Research Data Repositories will also be provided.
Feedback? Questions? Ideas?
We encourage your feedback on the RDM Strategy. Feel free to use our web form to provide confidential feedback or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in learning more about RDM? Have a look at our introductory pages, and please don’t hesitate to connect with us with your questions at email@example.com.