Research and Open Scholarship Division
The new Research and Open Scholarship Division brings together specialized expertise from across the Libraries to acquire, manage and provide students and faculty with the broadest possible access to scholarly content and collections of significant breadth and depth. The Division is also responsible for providing expertise, programming and campus-wide advocacy to advance open access, open data and the scholarship of librarians and archivists.
The Division comprises two new departments:
The Content Development & Analysis Department advances excellence in research, teaching and learning by:
- strategically identifying, acquiring, and facilitating broad and equitable access to scholarly content in a wide variety of formats (e.g. books, journals, databases, data sets, etc..);
- facilitating and advocating for fair and appropriate licensing of and access to electronic content, with an emphasis on open access;
- consistently analyzing how our collections and content are used by York University students and faculty across programs and disciplines in order to be responsive to emerging curricular and research needs; and
- developing sustainable collection management practices that serve the entire York University community.
This Open Scholarship Department is charged with supporting research intensification across the campus through:
- advancing library expertise through coordination of campus liaison, outreach, and curricular and co-curricular programming related to the promotion, tracking, and management (as appropriate) of scholarly communications, research impact, open access, and research data management;
- providing licensing and author rights expertise to campus researchers on issues related to scholarly publishing; and
- promoting the dissemination of York University Libraries and campus-created scholarship.