We welcome all researchers and visitors. However, a visit to the Clara Thomas Archives and Special Collections (CTASC) is a different experience from visiting another department or section of the library. This also affects how you do your research and the amount of time you need for your visit. Here are some things you should know prior to contacting CTASC to make arrangements for your visit.
Where are you located?
The Clara Thomas Archives and Special Collections are located in room 305 on the third floor of the Scott Library on the Keele campus.
Our front door is located directly across from the third floor escalators. Just ring the doorbell during our hours of operation to gain entrance!
FALL & WINTER TERM HOURS (effective 01 September 2019 to 30 April 2020): open to the public Tuesday-Friday 10am-4:30pm (CLOSED on weekends, Mondays, statutory holidays and during the university holiday period)
CLOSED 21 December – 05 January, re-open to the public on Tuesday 07 January 2020
(Retrieval of materials from on-site storage Tuesday-Friday three times a day: 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM off-site storage can take longer to retrieve). Please call or email the archives ahead of time should you wish to have materials retrieved prior to your arrival.
Before you visit:
- Focus and refine your topic
- Do your background research
- Search for appropriate archives to visit
- Check the hours to make sure that the archives will be open when you visit
- Contact the archives or library to let them know that you are planning to visit. This will probably save you time!
- Browse the website of the archives. You will often find very useful information about the collection you are interested in researching. Sometimes, you may find an A-Z listing of online finding aids to the institution’s archival collections.
- Bring some cash for photocopying, or bring a camera and ask if you are able to take photographs of materials.
When you visit:
- Familiarize yourself with the forms that you should use to request material, photocopies, etc.
- Have patience.
- Bring a piece of photo identification (like your library card).