We welcome all researchers and visitors. However, a visit to the Clara Thomas Archives and Special Collections (CTASC) is a different experience from visiting another department or section of the library. This also affects how you do your research and the amount of time you need for your visit. Here are some things you should know prior to contacting CTASC to make arrangements for your visit.
The reading room of the Clara Thomas Archives & Special Collections will be closed to all research as of 4pm Friday 18 December 2020. Appointment only research will resume the week of 12 January 2021. Appointments are available Tuesday to Friday, from 10 a.m. to 12 noon and from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
To book an appointment, email firstname.lastname@example.org at least three working days prior to your proposed visit. Please include a list of records or books you wish to consult. You will then receive an email confirming your appointment time. Appointments are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Only one researcher may access the reading room at a time. You must always wear a protective face covering over your mouth, nose and chin in Scott Library. Do not come to Scott Library without a confirmed appointment. Appointments cannot be made on the spot.
You must show photo identification each time you access the reading room.
When you visit CTASC:
- Expect to Check-in at Scott Library entrance, no admittance without an appointment
- Expect to register as a reader – done online in advance – information verified at research appointment
- Bring a piece of photo identification (like your driver’s licence or YU card).
- Have patience, we are all adjusting to new workflows
Before you visit:
Browse the website of the archives. You will often find very useful information about the collection you are interested in researching. Sometimes, you may find an A-Z listing of online finding aids to the institution’s archival collections.
- Focus and refine your topic
- Do your background research
- Search for appropriate archives to visit
- Check the hours to make sure that the archives is open and accepting research appointments
- Contact the archives or library to book an appointment.
- Bring some cash for photocopying, or bring a camera and ask if you are able to take photographs of materials.