We welcome all researchers and visitors. However, a visit to the Clara Thomas Archives and Special Collections (CTASC) is a different experience from visiting another department or section of the library. This also affects how you do your research and the amount of time you need for your visit. Here are some things you should know prior to contacting CTASC to make arrangements for your visit.
The reading room of the Clara Thomas Archives & Special Collections is closed since 14 January 2021 due to the lockdown ordered by the government of Ontario, but exceptions are being made for researchers with exceptional needs. If your research is of an urgent nature, please contact us by email at: email@example.com
If you visit CTASC:
- Expect to Check-in at Scott Library entrance, no admittance without an appointment
- Expect to register as a reader - done online in advance - information verified at research appointment
- Bring a piece of photo identification (like your driver's licence or YU card).
- Have patience, we are all adjusting to new workflows
Before you visit:
Browse the website of the archives. You will often find very useful information about the collection you are interested in researching. Sometimes, you may find an A-Z listing of online finding aids to the institution’s archival collections.
- Focus and refine your topic
- Do your background research
- Search for appropriate archives to visit
- Check the hours to make sure that the archives is open and accepting research appointments
- Contact the archives or library to book an appointment.
- Bring some cash for photocopying, or bring a camera and ask if you are able to take photographs of materials.