- The Bronfman, Frost, Scott and Steacie libraries are open to currently registered YorkU students, staff, and faculty. Book a space to study, connect to online classes while on-campus, browse the shelves, use course reserves, pickup and check out items, use the computers and photocopiers, and for any other in-person library service. Continue to pickup requested items in the book lockers or connect to virtual information and research help services without a space booking. Please complete YU Screen before coming to campus.
Clara Thomas Archives & Special Collections
The Clara Thomas Archives and Special Collections collects manuscript, rare book and primary source materials to support research and learning by the university’s faculty, students, and a community of international scholars. We are strong in the areas of Canadian history, fine arts (design, photography, music, film, theatre), philosophy, environmental history, and sexual diversity. We welcome all researchers and visitors; however, a visit to the Clara Thomas Archives and Special Collections (CTASC) is a different experience from visiting another department or section of the library.
The reading room of the Clara Thomas Archives & Special Collections is open for research visits on the following conditions:
• Access is by appointment only and appointments must be made in advance.
• Appointments are usually available from Monday to Friday, 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
• Researchers must complete a virtual registration form provided by Archives and Special Collections and submit it by email prior to their first visit.
• Researchers must indicate by email that they have received two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. Please do not submit vaccination receipts.
• Researchers must submit a list of up to six items to be examined during their initial visit. Additional material can be retrieved during visits based on staff availability.
• Researchers must wear a non-medical face covering while in Scott Library.
• Researchers must complete York’s online COVID-19 screening at https://yorku.ubixhealth.com/login before visiting campus.
• Researchers are welcome to use digital cameras to take images of our holdings for their personal use and private study.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment to use our holdings.
About Clara Thomas
Professor Clara Thomas was the long-time friend and champion of Archives and Special Collections. Read more about Professor Thomas here.
Ask & Services
We’re online to help you with all your research needs and questions. Just ask!
Archival research can be a (rewarding) challenge! Learn more about what to expect when you visit us.
Want to use a historical photo? Photocopy a pamphlet? Donate to the archives? Find out more…
Research & Learn
Connect with our library resources and services to get the help you need.