Maps & atlases for various courses are kept in the Map Library on reserve. Please visit the main desk and ask for your specific course to use these materials in the Map Library. YU Card required.
Cartographic materials in the Map Library may be placed on reserve for student consultation by contacting the Library Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All borrowers must have a valid York University library card. Our circulating book collection has the same loan period as the Scott Library. Maps that are available for loan have a loan period of one week for all categories of users (Faculty, Staff, Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students and Alumni).
The following Maps, Airphotos, Atlases, and Books at the Map Library are not available for loan:
- Canadian National Topographic Maps – Scales 1:25,000, 1:125,000, 1:126,720, and 1:500,000
- Air Photos
- All maps pre-1910 including Facsimiles, Reproductions, and Originals
- Fire Insurance Plans
- SC MAP REF and the SC MAP DESK sections
- Caribbean Maps: G4901 – 5190 sections
- Atlases and Books in the MAP OVER section
- Atlases and Books in the SC MAP REF and SC MAP DESK
- Sheet Maps that are a part of the book collection, e.g. Atlas of Canada
- Maps that have a cloth backing or mounted to a paper backing
- Selected Maps in Collection as indicated on the individual map
Computing and Software
The Map Library currently has three computers for patron use. All computers have the ArcGIS software. To learn more about GIS software, please visit our GIS at York University page.
The Map Library has one scanner for use, free of charge. Patrons can also print from the computers, to the Scott Library 1st floor printer. To use any of the computers, a Passport York account is needed. If you do not have a Passport York account, please visit the Welcome Desk on the 1st floor of Scott Library to get a temporary account.
Map displays of reserve items or of materials on special themes are regularly mounted in the library throughout the year.
Bibliographic Instruction and Orientation Tours
Bibliographic instruction and orientation tours are offered upon request. Instructors, please contact the Map and GIS Librarian, Rosa Orlandini (email@example.com) at 416-736-2100 ext. 88863.
Maps not held in the collection may be available through interlibrary loan from one of the university map libraries in Ontario. Please consult staff at the Map Library Service Desk.